Vanessa RaynerPedagogical ConsultantElementary SchoolsContact for Research Requestsvrayner@swlauriersb.qc.ca ext. 1346
James GorePedagogical ConsultantSecondary Schoolsjgore@swlauriersb.qc.ca ext. 1414
Ensuring success for all students has required a shift from seeing mathematics teaching and learning as a sequence of memorization tasks to promoting deep understanding and proficiency in the subject. This vision of mathematics teaching positions students as sense makers and doers and teachers as facilitators of student learning. This view also underscores the importance of building conceptual understanding to develop students’ flexibility in using representations, strategies and procedures, and ability to reason, problem solve and communicate mathematical thinking. With this in mind, our goal is to collaborate with teachers and schools teams to facilitate mathematics teaching that is coherent, connected, and responsive to all students.
How we can help
In addition to the general offer of service, we can offer support with:
- implementing tasks to support ambitious and equitable math teaching.
- meeting the challenges of teaching in multilevel classrooms.
- integrating research-based practices to carry out teacher/school-based projects/initiatives focused on shifting mathematics teaching.
- using student evidence of mathematics learning to inform teaching (e.g., exam item analysis, student artifacts, common formative/summative assessment data).
- feedback on evaluation tools and practices.
- exploring how the learning objectives within cycles is related to the larger mathematical landscape, as well as the mathematics curriculum that lies ahead.
- coaching and classroom support for teaching elementary and secondary mathematics.
SWL Elementary Math Group 365 (WQSB Grade Level Binders, SWL End of Year Assessments, and SWL Math Diagnostics). Please email Vanessa to join this group.
SWLSB Secondary Math Group 365 (Curriculum Plans, End-of-Year and Practice Assessments, Diagnostic Tools, Situational Problems, PoL by Level). Please e-mail James to join this group.